Tuesday 19 March 2013

Classic X-Men #36: We Need To Talk About Proteus

Classic X-Men #36 reprints the Dazzler introduction story, alongside a backup written by Fabian Nicieza that puts Proteus to rest.

It's a two-hander, with Moira and Sean, and considers Moira's reaction to her son's death. She wants to try and bring him back. This time his creation will be out of love, which will make him not be evil. And for all that this is a lovely little character piece it gets tainted for me, because of the promulgation of this idea that a child conceived by rape is somehow biologically likely to be evil. It's irrational, harmful, hateful crap. A sperm is a sperm. And even if you can handwave and say that that's not how it is in the Marvel universe, what's the point of that exactly? What is that a metaphor for? Oh. Itself.

(Incidentally, I don't usually comment on my post titles, but I am feeling particularly pleased with myself for this one, especially as nobody else on the Internet has put these words together.)

2 comments:

  1. ...because of the promulgation of this idea that a child conceived by rape is somehow biologically likely to be evil.

    It is an icky idea. I forget: has it been stated that Proteus' conception came about via rape, or has that merely been implied (here and elsewhere)?

    Not that "you were conceived when I had sex with someone I hated, so that's why you're evil" is all that better, but I can't remember if that distinction is even made.

    Also, call me crazy Moira, but maybe your son turning evil had less to do with the details surrounding his conception and more to do with the fact that you kept him locked up in solitary confinement his entire life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an icky idea. I forget: has it been stated that Proteus' conception came about via rape, or has that merely been implied (here and elsewhere)?

      I don't think they use the r word, but there is no ambiguity.

      Also, call me crazy Moira, but maybe your son turning evil had less to do with the details surrounding his conception and more to do with the fact that you kept him locked up in solitary confinement his entire life...

      So, let's do the same to David!

      Delete